10 Of My Favourite 90s Fashion Trends
Imagine this: butterfly clips, scrunchies, dungarees, Spice Girls blasting in the background. What era could we possibly be in? Why, the 90s of course! Obviously, this post is going to be about my favourite 90s fashion trends.
It’s hard to believe that the 90s were 17 years ago. I was a 90s child, and I loved it.
My favourite 90s fashion trends:
- Jelly Shoes: Man alive. These were only the best shoes ever. They did come back ‘in fashion’ for a tiny, tiny while a few years ago (and I bought some to relive my childhood). I absolutely loved Jelly Shoes in the 90s – I had a pink sparkly pair, a purple pair and peach pair.
- Platform Sneakers: I loved these so, so much. I would wear them with my stripy knee high socks. Thanks to the Spice Girls for starting this trend!
- Rainbow Stripy Knee High Socks: Another favourite of mine. These were definitely the best accessory. Whilst I do miss them, I know I’d definitely not wear them today.
Let’s have a little video break:
4. Butterfly Clips: I still have these in my hairclip box. They were so cute. I had glittery ones, velvety ones, silver ones.
5. Chokers: Yes, I know chokers have made somewhat of a comeback over the last few years, but seriously? 90s chokers were AWESOME. I had a few of them. I had one with beads on it, and a plain one for everyday wear.
6. Dungarees/overalls: I loved dungarees. My wardrobe boasted at least 2 or 3 pairs of them. My ultimate favourite would have been a pair of long dungarees, with Winnie the Pooh on them. I would wear them with my floral t-shirt and platform sneakers. Oh, that’s so fashion!
7. Cargo Pants: I look back at these now and cringe. I thought I was so cool. I would also pair these with my platform sneakers. The pockets were handy though.
Let’s have a break:
Here we go, the last few 90s fashion trends that I loved:
8. Mini Backpacks: I just sold my mini backpack from the 90s on trademe (a New Zealand auction site). It was bright yellow with multi-coloured flowers on it. I was obviously the coolest kid on the block.
9. Crop Tops: I owned a few of these. A few of them were hand-me-downs from my sister, so I was stoked when I got them!
10. Pedal Pushers: My mum made a few pairs of these for me. She was (and still is) the best mum ever. I wore them for the rest of the 90s, and retired them at the start of 2001.
So there you have it, 10 of my favourite 90s fashion trends. This was a good trip down memory lane.
There are a ton of other 90s fashion trends that I could add in here, but this blog post would probably never end!
Did you have any trends that you loved as a child, but wouldn’t be seen in today?
Have a look at my 90s inspired trousers from ASOS here in my Obsessed with Grey Trousers post